Our canine rehabilitation team is ready to help patients with a variety of medical conditions to enable them to move more comfortably and enjoy a greater quality of life. Conditions we can help with include:
- Osteoarthritis/degenerative joint disease—Hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, or previous trauma to a joint
- Degenerative neurologic disease—Degenerative myelopathy or other diffuse or peripheral neuropathies
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Fibrocartilaginous embolism
- Recovery from surgery—Cruciate repairs, femoral head and neck excision, total hip replacement, patellar luxation, and fracture repairs
Our athletic conditioning and strengthening programs focus on flexibility, balance, coordination, and endurance training. Individualized home care programs are created to complement hospital treatments.
- Underwater treadmills are beneficial for patients living with chronic conditions or recovering from surgeries. The natural buoyancy of water prevents the body weight from stressing painful joints. Aquatic therapy promotes muscle strengthening, cardiovascular endurance and increased flexibility.
- Electrical stimulation uses different types of electrical current to stimulate tissues, increase muscle strength and tone, and help control pain and edema, and decrease muscle spasms.
- Therapeutic ultrasound uses sound waves to alleviate muscle spasm and pain, heat deep tissues, promote healing, and enhance range of motion.
- Therapeutic soft tissue massage relieves pain, relaxes muscles, and improves blood flow.
- Range of motion and stretching exercises—Enhances flexibility and motion in both post-operative patients and in those with chronic conditions. Proper exercise helps to prevent further injury and minimizes scar tissue formation.
- Therapeutic exercise improves flexibility and balance and also increases muscle mass and strength, and enhances cardiovascular performance. Therapeutic exercises include standing exercises, controlled walking, and stair climbing, and utilization of physiorolls, wobble boards, and cavaletti rails.